Paneer Butter Masala
Paneer - 200 gms
Tomatoes (ripe) - 500 gms
Onions (medium) - 2
Ginger paste - 1 tbsp
Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Cashew paste - 2 tbsp
Garam masala powder - 2 tsp
Butter - 4 tbsp
Kasuri methi - ˝ tsp
Fresh Cream - 75 ml
1. Boil tomatoes, de-skin and puree.
2. Chop half an onion and boil the rest for 10 minutes before making a paste.
3. Cut the paneer into rectangles or squares.
4. Heat 3 tbsp of butter in a pan, add chopped onions and sauté till brown.
5. Add onion paste, ginger and garlic paste. Saute for 3 minutes. Add Cashew paste.
6. Add garam masala powder and stir well.
7. Add tomato puree, crushed kasuri methi and salt. Stir.
8. Add cut paneer and simmer for 3 minutes.
9. Remove from fire, stir in remaining butter and fresh cream leaving a little aside for garnishing.
10. Garnish with fresh cream and coriander leaves.
Note: Add water if you want a thinner gravy. Chicken makhanwala and vegetable makhanwala can be made using the same recipe. Substitute paneer with chicken tikka or boiled vegetables.
If you want a richer gravy, add 50 gms of grated, unsweetened khoya.
(The writer is HOD, Department of Catering Science and Hotel Management, SNR Sons College.)
Send this article to Friends by