'No further troop mobilisation'
By Our Special Correspondent
NEW DELHI, JAN. 1. There is no further mobilisation of troops and armour along the western border with Pakistan, although the situation was described as tense, official sources here said. However, reports suggested exchange of gunfire along the border in Jammu and Kashmir. According to an agency report, at least 11 Pakistani and two Indian soldiers were reported killed in mortar shelling and small arms fire.
India, sources said, had already shifted some forces from the eastern sector facing China towards the North. The assessment here is that India and China share a common perspective on the need for combating international terrorism. Sources pointed out that the External Affairs Minister, Mr. Jaswant Singh, has recently spoken to his Chinese counterpart over telephone.
N-installations' list exchanged
Away from the stand-off, both countries adhered to the agreement on exchanging lists of nuclear installations and facilities for the 11th consecutive year. Under the Agreement on the Prohibition of Attack against Nuclear Installations and Facilities, the two countries are to inform each other on January 1 of the nuclear installations and facilities to be covered by the agreement. Enforced since January 1, 1992, both countries have adhered to the pact.
Send this article to Friends by